Romantic Stitches
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The thoughs of a Victorian Romantic, including stitching, books and whatever strikes my fancy, including the ocassional foray onto a soapbox. Artwork by Jo at Little Ariel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisiana, United States

History geek. Browncoat/Whovian/Trekkie/Scaper Science fiction romance writer. Closet football fan.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Making lists...

I have this list of crafts that I want to learn how to do before I die. I don't necessarily have to master it, just know the basics so I can pass the craft on to others. Today, I came one step closer to knocking one off the list. I can purl!!!!!!!!!! It's slow going, but I can do it!!!!!

The newest Kent House employee, Emily, knits. She's making a cardigan out of this BEAUTIFUL chenille yarn, the color is called Sea Glass. She found it at Hobby Lobby. And it's stockinette. So I took my little swatch of knitting with me to work this morning and learned how to purl! I now have a 6" tall 4" wide swatch of stockinette. And I am so proud of myself!!! Emily said she'd show me how to increase, decrease and cast off too. I'm very excited.

I have this dream of being able to knit my own socks. I have chronically cold feet and sleep in socks year round. (except when the power's out in the summer) It is nearly impossible to find good warm socks locally that aren't camoflouge. And as pretty as Mossy Oak camo is, it just doesn't fit in well with my ankle boots and sweaters in the winter. My socks don't have to be anything fancy, just wool and warm. I already do thread crochet so I'm used to working in rounds with tiny needles/hooks, so I'm really looking forward to it. Once I get a chance to sit down and breathe for a weekend with nothing else planned, I'll be looking around for a free and simple sock pattern.

And in stitching news I finished a page on Alternative Reality! I will admit that I cheated and started at the very bottom with one of the 10 row pages. With the express purpose of being able to say "Page HD!" within a week. :D I'll have a picture sometime before Monday I hope.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Panda said...

http://www.lollygirl.com/blog/

Lolly recently hosted Socktoberfest, during the month of October. If you scroll back through a ways, you'll find all kinds of tutorials and information good for beginner sock knitters.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I'm mid sock at the moment, I got a really easy pattern so if you want any info let me know and I'll let you know where its from

4:10 PM  
Blogger Singular Stitches said...

Congrats on learning purling!

(Learn to knit in the round, i.e. socks and you can just knit the whole thing!)

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home